Tuesday, May 12, 2009

Rio Grande Kennel Club Shows and New Mexico Trip Update

Let me just say this off the bat: I will NEVER help someone move AND do a dog show in the same weekend!! Talk about DRAMA!!

It all started out ok, but got progressivly worse as it went along. Brian and Zack got the UHaul all loaded up and ready to go by Thursday night. Brian only worked a half day on Friday, so was home early taking care of a few last minute things around the house. I got off a little early, and Brian helped me take the dogs that werent entered into the show over to my good friend Patricias house (THANK YOU again, Patricia, for watching them for me!!). After that, I bathed 3 dogs (OUCH! Hard feat given my circumstances!!) and loaded up the van and off we went. Wait, I forgot to mention that my younger Brother, Zack, and his girlfriend are with us (and now living with us while they get back on thier feet down here). So we have 3 dogs and 3 people in the van, and Brian is driving the 26 foot UHaul. Now, as we get started down I-25, we realize that this UHaul not only can not drive over 60, but it can barely make it up a hill!! And mind you, we are leaving Colorado, which is ALL HILLS!! So our 5.5 hour drive turned into a 7 hour drive. We finally pulled into my Parents new home around midnight. Brian and Zack quickly set out unloading the UHaul, and since Brian forgot to bring our air mattress, and I refuse to sleep on the floor, my Mom and I left for Wal-Mart to buy a new one, and pick up some food as we were all starving! LOL....well, Wal-Mart was open, thankfully, but coming from a city where everything is open 24 hours, to a small town where everything closes by 6 was...well...weird!! To say the least!! We drove around looking for food and finally decided to go pick up some premade sandwiches at Walmart and just bring those home. So an hour later, we finally get back. The boys had made short work of the UHaul, and everything was stacked in the garage. The dogs got a late dinner and another quick walk, and we all collapsed in bed at about 2 am. Thankfully, Onofrio gave us late ringtimes!!!!!!!
More drama followed in the morning when I finally did get up around 8 and walked the dogs. Louie tends to bark if hes not let out first, so I took him out first (I can really only walk one at a time right now or I'd have taken all 3 out at once.....and since my Parents house is brand new, they dont have landscaping yet, much less a fence, so it was one at a time walking on lead...which the puppies hate) I walked up one side of the driveway while Louie sniffed around, and when I stepped forward, I felt something spiney sink into the side of my calf. I was wearing my pajama bottoms, which are kinda like capris, but have really thick knitted cuffs...and I got a piece of giant dead dried thorny cactus stuck IN my leg, through the cuff of my pants!! I tried to get it out to no avail, and no one in the house could hear me screaming....so I walked to the front door, with this cactus thorn digging deeper into my leg with every step I took. Thankfully my Mom was able to pull it out quickly when she answered the door...Brian just laughed at me and finished walking the dogs while I took care of the wound on my leg. (You'd be suprised at how hard it is to do simple things that require bending over at this point in time!!) So cactus drama over, dogs walked, and everything settled down and ok, I went to take a shower. Well, my Parents had opted for the fancy new "hot water on demand" instead of a normal hot water heater. LOL...the builders hadnt programed it at all. There was no hot water. We thought we got it all figured out, I got in the shower, and as soon as I got all soaped up, ice cold water again! LOL...figures. Brian fixed it, and I quickly finished my shower. (Builders of course didnt leave the book for the darn thing either!!)
Off to the dog show in the early afternoon, with Louie, Gibbs, and Prada. The parking attendants sent us out to park in the middle of timbucktoo (I guess they thought we were going to the graduation??) which was about a 2 mile walk to the actual show building. Brian, my lifesaver, found a MUCH closer parking spot while we were walking to the building. I got to meet some new Pointer people (Again, Brian, awesome meeting you, and hope to see you and your dogs at more shows in the future!!) and some new Pointers. Under Paula Hartinger, Louie went Winners Dog for a 3 point major from the 6-9 Puppy class, and his sire, Gibbs, went Reserve Winners Dog from Bred-By. Prada was a goof, and I didnt think she would be Paulas cup of tea since she is sooooo immature still, but she held her stacks and actually rocked up over her front!! I'm so proud of how well she has come along in that regard. Anyway, Prada went Reserve. The Winners Bitch (Owned by Brian Dofford-Johnson - Envy & Takaras Whirlaway) also went Best of Winners and Best of Opposite to Josh, and picked up a 3 point major as well!! Congrats!!
The rest of Saturday was fairly uneventful besides me Dad and Brother fighting, but that always happens.
Sunday was crazy. The hot water kept cutting out while I was taking a shower, again. No cactus attacks while I was walking the dogs, thankfully!! We loaded up the van and left a little early so we could grab some breakfast. We got a flat tire right outside the show grounds. Flat tires on Sundays are NEVER a good thing!! The hole was right on the edge, so was unrepairable anyways. We managed to find an open tire shop, and thankfully they were NOT busy at all, and they had a new tire put on the rim and back on the van in less than 15 minutes!! I was soooo impressed!! Not impressed with having to pay for a brand new tire though!!!!! LOL...back to the show grounds, actually got a close parking spot this time without being redirected to timbucktoo!! Walked the dogs in on normal leads instead of show leads which helped save our fingers! Under Roger Hartinger (we had a Judge change from Ann Savory Bolus to Mr Hartinger) Louie went WD again for his second 3 point major!!!! YAY!!!! I'm sooooooo excited about that!! Gibbs got dumped in Winners, although the Judge gave him every opportunity to do well, he just wanted to be a goof!! Prada went Reserve again, although she behaved much better than she had the day before. The drive home was LONG, although much quicker than the drive down!! Felt good to sleep in my own bed again!! All the dogs were glad to be home again.


We are off to WY for the shows over Memorial Day weekend. I have the only Pointer entries, so hopefully we can add some singles to the points counts ......we shall see if the judges cross Prada over since there are no specials.

No comments:

Post a Comment