Sunday, April 5, 2009

Health Testing and CHIC

I think we have a few EXPENSIVE months ahead of us here. Its getting to be health testing time!! YAY!

Actually, health tests make me insanely nervous! I sit on pins and needles until I get the results back!

Maui, Tony, and Gibbs are going to get thier eyes CERFd next month. After that will be a Cardio exam for Pyro. Provided he passes that, we'll do his eyes as well. In June, Tony, Gibbs, and Cosmo will be going in to have their hips and elbows done for OFA. And then probably in June or July, I'll have Maui, Tony, Gibbs and Pyros thyroid pulled as well. So, hopefully, by July, we will have met all the requirements for our "of age" Pointers to be included in not only the OFA database, but to aquire a CHIC number as well. Pyro will take much longer! lol.

The CHIC program is a strange thing...its in place to encourage broad spectrum health testing and reporting of ALL results, and is NOT an idicator that a dog actually passed, only that they were tested. BUT, if its there, and recommended, I'll test for it. Why not. At least I'll know my dogs (and those I bred!) are healthy :)

Onward to surgery and health testing!! (One for me, one for the dogs! Can you tell I'm excited?? lol)

No comments:

Post a Comment