Sunday, January 4, 2009

Clicker!

So I finally bit the bullet and decided to try clicker training. I really like the concepts behind it, so figured I would at least give it a try before I write it off completely!
We went out and bought a clicker today. One of the blue ones with the little orange button that you press that makes the "click". I came home, put a wrist strap on it, put loads of cookies into the treat pouch, and grabbed a dog!
Tony was my first victim! The information said you have to teach the dog first off that the click means something good will come, so it was "click, treat....click, treat" for about 25 repetitions! Louie was next, then Maui, then Prada. I'll do Pyro later. They all seemed *really* into the cookies. Prada was the only one that actually acknowledged the noise of the clicker. Dont know what that means at all (if anything!), but I guess we will see when we actually advance onto teaching them to do something! I'm excited...I love having new toys to play with!

Brian leaves this week for a month of training. It would be nice to have all the dogs a little bit better trained by the time he comes home next month!

No comments:

Post a Comment